Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Trip to Richards Bay

Over the last long weekend I traveled down to Richards Bay with good friends of mine, David and Vonè.  Vonè's mother was turning 60 that Monday and Vonè had planned a surprise visit to Durban to celebrate her mums birthday with her.  I tagged along to see my brother and sister-in-law in Richards Bay.

Cristo and Lee collected me in Durban and we traveled another 2 hours to Richard's Bay, a total of 12 hours travel but well worth it.
Cristo and Lee were very excited about my visit and went all out to make it special.
They took me sight seeing around the harbours
The views were stunning
  We went out onto the pier and enjoyed such awesome scenery
 including a few rock spiders/crabs hehehe
 Check at this unusual one...
 The magnitude of some ships on the sea still amazes me


 Cristo kindly arranged with a friend of his to take me out in his boat around the harbour

 I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Really took me back to my childhood and our days spent out on lake Kariba fishing
 We actually saw a man fishing from the balcony of one of these quaint little houses

 I enjoyed seeing this very old yacht 



 Cristo enjoyed it even more, he kept comparing and referring to Kariba days
 The boat we went on
 A pic of Cristo and myself with the owner of the boat and its skipper

On our way back David and Vonè stopped in Vanreenen's Pass to show me the smallest church in SA
The church was built by Maynard Mathews in memory of his son Llandaff Mathew who died while saving the lives of 8 co-workers at the Burnside Colliery mine on 19 March 1925.
Initially Maynard Mathews wanted to erect a plaque in honour of his son at the Roman Catholic Church in Ladysmith, but could not secure permission to do so. Determined that a memorial to his son will be placed in a church, Maynard decided to build his own, have it consecrated a Catholic church and become a priest himself. 
The church seats just eight people, apparently the same number of people Llandaff saved in the mine accident. 
 The three tourists 
 We had a late breakfast at a little coffee shop next to the church overlooking beautiful rolling hills

 Thank you all so much for making this SUCH a special weekend!

No comments: